Friday, August 21, 2009

World Champs London thoughts

I’m writing this entry from the Sunshine Coast, Australia, currently recovering after the World Champs at Hyde Park last weekend and a long haul flight. It was a good race for me and I was really pleased. I didn’t get the best start in the swim and was lying eighth after the first lap but managed to find some clear water and come out of the water second. I felt pretty solid and consistent on the bike – there was quite a head wind at times and it was a bit frustrating that the groups from behind were able to ride up to us, but that's racing. Jodie [Swallow] and I really pushed on with the final lap and there was a real sense of competition amongst the lead group heading into the run. My second transition was pretty smooth which placed me in a decent position for the run – Jodie Stimpson went off really quickly but I was determined to stay with her and tucked in behind her. The final lap was between me, Nicola Spirig and Lisa Norden – it was really close and I was doing a lot of front running hoping to gain enough of a gap so that there wasn’t a sprint finish. But there was - and the girls pipped me to the post! Still, I was pleased with bronze and Nicola and Lisa have been up there all season. I’ve gone up from 10th overall to 5th overall now – and am looking forward to the Grand Final on the Gold Coast in just a few weeks. It should be a close one – there really are a lot of capable girls in the group this year…watch this space! For now, it’s on with the training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home